The Comics and Graphic Narratives Forum will be sponsoring three panels at MLA 2022, 196. Comics on the Border, 407V. Reading and Translating Comics in Two Directions, and 579. Manga’s Global Influence. All of this year’s sessions are recognized as presidential theme sessions and speak to the “Multilingual US” conference theme. Also, check out all the other comics-related panels at MLA 2022.
Friday, 7 January 2022, 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM, virtually
Examining comics that contest borders national, cultural, and linguistic in a United States context, speakers emphasize how borders in comics allow for thinking through hybrid and marginalized identities and the material constraints on communities. How might comics contribute to the creation of identity and community through production, circulation, and the making of audiences and networks?
- Presider: Janine M. Utell, Widener U
- Jose Alaniz, U of Washington, Seattle
- Marcel Brousseau, U of Oregon
- Elizabeth Nijdam, U of British Columbia
- Ricardo Quintana-Vallejo, U Nacional Autónoma de México
- Kaitlin Thomas, Norwich U
407V – Reading and Translating Comics in Two Directions
Saturday, 8 January 2022, 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM, virtually
- Presider: Lan Dong, U of Illinois, Springfield
- Respondent: Yasmine Khayyat, Rutgers U, New Brunswick
- Communicative Imagination in Metrolingual Artistic Expressions
Dina Mahmoud, Penn State U, University Park
- The 99 in Arabic and English: Translating Language, Image, and Genre
Adrienne Resha, William and Mary
- Nādiya Nash’at: A Pioneer in Adapting American Comic Books into Arabic
Aram Shahin, James Madison U
579V – Manga’s Global Influence
Saturday, 8 January 2022, 5:15 PM – 6:30 PM, virtually
Participants examine manga’s global influence as it travels to other countries (Korea, Senegal, Canada, the United States) and is transformed by local cartoonists making new work that innovates genres and intervenes as forms of anticolonial endeavors.
- Presider: Leah Misemer, Georgia Inst. of Tech.
- Presider: Margaret Galvan, U of Florida
- Ayanni Cooper, U Florida
- Mahriana Rofheart, Georgia Gwinnett C
- Aaron Kashtan, U of North Carolina, Charlotte
- Katherine Kelp-Stebbins, U of Oregon
- Junshik Yun, Brigham Young U, UT